Allen N. SchwartzPrint Bio
Al began as an associate in the firm of William D. Maddux & Associates from 1984. William D. Maddux became a Circuit Court Judge in Cook County in 1990 and Al became an owner of Kralovec, Jambois & Schwartz, the successor firm to William D. Maddux & Associates at that time.
Al's personal highlights include successful jury verdicts in Marion County, Indiana, Cook County, DeKalb County, Will County, Winnebago County and McHenry County, Illinois. The verdicts in DeKalb County (1993) and McHenry County (2001) set records for the largest verdicts ever in those counties. The verdicts in Cook County, Will County (Joliet), Winnebago County (Rockford) and McHenry County (Woodstock) each exceeded one million dollars.
With respect to settlements, Al has numerous multi million dollar settlements in plaintiff personal injury cases in the fields of medical negligence, auto/truck litigation, worksite injury and general negligence.
Al lives in the western suburbs of Chicago with his wife of 35 years, Janet. Together they have three adult children: Charlie, Amanda and Olivia.
- Illinois Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Northern District
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
Memberships & Associations
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Association for Justice, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Society of Trial Lawyers, Member
- J.D., Chicago-Kent College of Law (with Honors), 1984
- B.A., University of Illinois, 1981
Awards and Recognitions
- Top Rated Medical Malpractice Attorney, Super Lawyers, 2006-Present
- Illinois Super Lawyers Top 100, 2015-Present
- Advisory Board Member, Leading Lawyers, Chosen top 5% of Illinois Lawyers
- Top Attorneys in Illinois, Chicago Magazine
- Leading Personal Injury Lawyers, Crain’s Chicago Business
- Martindale-Hubbell, Preeminent Award for High Professional Achievement
Verdicts and Settlements
- $2.4 billion, Member of lead counsel for group Actos mass tort settlement (patients diagnosed with bladder cancer)
- $12.5 million, Estate of Michael Pleasance, deceased v. City of Chicago, Alvin Weems
- $3.7 million, Estate of Precious Matthews, deceased minor v. Gottlieb Memorial Hospital (Record verdict for stillbirth in the State of Illinois)
- $1.5 million, Deckert v. Pioneer (Record verdict in McHenry County)
- $1.5 million,Estate of Delores Matsen, deceased v. Dr. Joseph Hindo
- $1 million, Krystyna and Dale Winemiller v. Donald E. McCanse, M.D. and Rockford Clinic, Ltd.
- $827,058, Estate of Fred Berkes v. Manakavalan J. Prabhaker
- $720,000, Estate of Jack Markbank, deceased v. Silver Cross Hospital, Dr. Bassam Kawadry, Fischer Mangold
- $500,000, Estate of Heather Evans v. James Cromer, M.D.
- $265,000, Elsie Slevnik v. Gary Marcotte, D.O.